Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What We Ate {Oreo Truffles}

You may remember back in December when I told you about our annual Cookie Exchange party at Christmas. Well, hosting this tradition for the past few years has left me with a TON of delicious cookie recipes. Unfortunately I don't bake very often, so most of them go into my recipe box and never see the light of day again.  

But recently, I found myself searching for a recipe that tasted great and looked impressive to take to an event...but I didn't have a lot of time to spend making something that took a lot of work.  Luckily, I remembered that one of my co-workers had shared her recipe for Oreo Truffles at one of our cookie exchange parties.  

They are to-die-for, and I knew they didn't require a lot of time or ingredients.

Sold!


Ingredients
1 package Oreo cookies
1 package cream cheese, softened
1 package chocolate melting wafers
1 tablespoon shortening

Using a food processor, grind cookies into fine crumbs. Reserve 1/4 cup cookie crumbs.  Add cream cheese to the remaining crumbs, and beat cookie crumbs and cream cheese until thoroughly combined.


Roll mixture into approximately 48 one inch balls.


Melt chocolate wafers and shortening using a double boiler.  Or if you don't have a double boiler, just put them in a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water, like I did.


Dip each ball into chocolate, using a toothpick.  Place chocolate-coated balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  


Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs, which is helpful in concealing the holes left by the toothpicks.  Place cookie sheet in refrigerator for one hour to allow chocolate to set.  

I made two batches--one with white chocolate coating and the other with a milk chocolate coating.  They looked so cute arranged on a serving tray, and tasted every bit as good as I remembered. 


Needless to say, there weren't any left to bring back home, which was probably a good thing.  

I'm not sure I could be trusted with them in the house!

Linking Up At

 photo signature_zps64b784cd.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Mmm we love things like this. I made something similar but called them "Oreo Balls". I like your name better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually what the recipe was called, but I've seen them referred to as truffles before, and I liked that better too. So I'm calling them truffles.

      Delete
  2. Em they were amazing and they looked so nice. When I dip stuff in chocolate they get a mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find it hard to keep the consistency of the chocolate the same throughout. Adding a touch more shortening part way through seems to help.

      Delete
  3. And I've found my newest craving….

    ReplyDelete